CAMP 24 – Our Creative Arts & Social Skills Summer Day Camp
CAMP 24 is a concept developed by The Center on Central and Program Director Katie Opher that utilizes creative arts therapies in a group setting to practice social skills in fun and realistic situations.
(Read more about how creative arts are beneficial to developing social skills; also read Katie Opher’s article featured in the April 2011 issue of Chester County Intermediate Unit’s KIDS Magazine, on page 30)
CAMP 24 FEATURES:
• Creative arts activities that promote meaningful social interactions
• Up to 9 fun-filled weeks of music, art, dance/movement, yoga, pottery and team games led by our creative arts therapists and instructors
• Daily social skills lesson with practice assignments and take-home sheets
• No prior arts experience needed – we structure the groups for success
• Group size will be limited to ensure at most a 6:1 child:staff ratio
• The Center on Central is wheelchair-accessible on our ground floor and is air-conditioned
“CAMP 24 was great! I got to learn my social skills in a friendly place. I had popcorn and made new friends. And I learned that music and drumming help me relax!”
Camp 24 has been a safe and fun place for my son to learn some necessary social skills. I love the sheet that comes home every day outlining the terms you use to teach the skill so we can practice at home. We have been using “Whole Body Listening” as a much better way of ask our child to pay attention and “thinking with your eyes” is such a wonderful way to ask him to stay focused. We are looking forward to him returning the 2nd week of August as his first 2 weeks were so successful. THANK YOU!
– Parent of a 2nd grader
Our son has been happy this summer! You make the social skills lesson real and relate to his real life, but he doesn’t feel like he is in therapy group all morning. He is usually tough to get up in the morning, but coming to Camp 24 has not been a struggle at all – he’s ready to go and be with the new friends he has made. This age is a difficult one for any kid, but with your help, my son is feeling confident and ready to tackle 7th grade with some very useful tools, thanks to your lessons at Camp 24. We will be back next year!!
– Parent of a 7th grader
2013 CAMP 24 THEMES:
June 24-27 “Transitioning to summer”
• Summer vs. School — How to change and go with the flow
• How to handle boring moments
• Teamwork vs. Friendship
• How to approach new people and new situations
***CAMP 24 DOES NOT MEET THE WEEK OF JULY 1-JULY 4***
July 8-11 “How to be in a Group”
• Looking at the whole group
• Think next
• Look first/Observe the situation
• How to be in a group/How to think about a group
July 15-18 “Filtering your Thoughts” – AM session only
• Being predictable is not boring
• Avoiding being unpredictable
• To say or not to say
• When to share/not share thoughts
July 22-25 “Body Awareness I – Space” – AM session only
• Exploring your space (personal boundaries, how much space do you need)
• Negotiating uncomfortable body space folks
• Your space in certain situations
• Group awareness
July 29-August 1 “Friendship”
• The friendship road/ladder
• How to decide how to move along in friendship
• Thinking about others
August 5-8 “Stress Management”
• What is stress? What are your stressors?
• How do we handle heated moments?
• How to let it “roll off your back”
August 12-15 “Body Awareness – II”
• Recognizing sensations and emotions
• Recognizing non-verbal cues
• How fast/slow does your engine run?
• How big a deal is it, really?
August 19-22 “Tools to Calm Yourself”
• When is your engine “overheating?”
• Slowing down and cooling off?
• Other techniques to keep calm
• Energy/self modulation
August 26-29 “Transitions from Summer to School Year”
• How to handle schedule changes
• How to accept change the best we can
CAMP 24 MEETS DAILY, MONDAY-THURSDAY from 8:30am-11:30am (for ages 6-13) and from 1:00pm-4:00pm (for ages 13-18), CAMP 24 is open to children ages 6-18 after application and interview.
Cost is $300 per week, with a 2-week minimum required (does not have to be consecutive). There is an additional once-per-summer $200 administrative assessment fee if IEP review is needed and if progress monitoring specific to IEP goals is required.
In addition, where placement in our afternoon (1:00pm-4:00pm) Creative Arts Summer Day Camp – featuring Young Rembrandts and more – is appropriate, we invite you to enroll separately in that program, and receive extended Lunch Bunch (from 11:30am-1:00pm) for the cost of the regularly scheduled Lunch Bunch ($20 per week).
Please choose your requested camp week below.
Step 1: Submit Your Registration
Upon receiving your registration, we will furnish you with a questionnaire to help determine the appropriate placement for your child, and call you to schedule an assessment tour. If we are unable to make an appropriate placement, your deposit will be refunded.
Step 2: Place Your Deposit
A non-refundable $100 deposit is required per camp week when you submit your registration. Please click the payment button below to place your deposit via credit card.
The balance will be processed to the same credit card used for the deposit on April 1. Alternately, you may make a check payable to The Center on Central, LLC and mail to P.O. Box 1293, Southeastern, PA 19399.
Step 3: Tell Others!
You can help us spread the word about CAMP 24 at The Center on Central by sharing this page on Facebook. Simply click on the “Like” button at the bottom of this page. Thank you!